Saturday 23 August 2014

Preston Park (Brighton)


Ok, it’s pretty remiss of me but I forgot to post a write up of the Preston Park parkrun I did the other day as I got too giddy with the facts and figures. Today we actually ran the Bushy Parkrun but as Neil has written a superb blog on that I’ll stagger mine for another time. Mine will be comparatively boring of course but got to keep the old blog going!

So yeah, Preston Park. This was the venue for my running training for years. Actually, it’s where running began for me as a hobby to be honest. I tagged along with some colleagues who wanted to get fit and ended up whizzing around like a sort of over excited puppy feeling like I had a basic knack for running. Preston Park was just up the road from where I worked and it’s a park i’ve used multiple times for all sorts of different types of training due to its sexy flat bits and its moody hills! It was a nice feeling to run here for that reason, sort of completed a little circle for me.

It was also a superb Parkrun. To be fair to Preston Park, you rarely have stunning scenery and an easy race all under one roof/lack of roof and this one was one that was more conducive to a decent time than a little look round at paradise. But it’s nice enough there, don’t get me wrong. I felt that the course profile was finally spot on for a decent time and you’ll notice I put it at the top of my list for PB potential. Sure enough in fact, I did my first km in 3:30 (with a little bit of help from starting slightly down hill) although I gradually eased off that pace, partly out of fear I’d run myself into the ground. 

The course is all on tarmac paths and as I say, starts slightly down hill. It finishes gradually uphill but nothing that will make your eyeballs fall out. The only other real obstacle are 3 tight turns (1 on each lap) which turned out to be un-supervised by marshals in favour of a yellow dot on the ground about the size of a postage stamp. I over shot this by some way on the first lap but turned in the correct place afterwards. 

All in all, if you are local and want a PB, this is the place to go to. It’s even easier than Hove!

No comments:

Post a Comment