Thursday 27 March 2014

Clair Park (Haywards Heath)

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/clair/

This one is my home parkrun and is organised by the club I belong to (Burgess Hill Runners) and our local allies, Haywards Heath Harriers. I'll probably sound really biased about this one, especially as I think Neil will read this and I can't say anything bad! But I assure you, I will be honest in my review (hopefully I'll be allowed back after this).

This parkrun is a pretty new one compared to many of them out there but it's one that took off pretty quickly. I think both clubs did a pretty good job of advertising it to their members and, being in Mid Sussex with no other parkruns directly on our doorstep, it already has a big core turnout. I know Neil was pleased to hear that by the time he was on event 2 or 3, the following it had was significantly bigger than the one I'd experienced in Croydon who were quite a bit further down the line (no disrespect intended to Croydon when mentioning this by the way!). 

The course for this one is quite tricky. It's all on paths (apart from a short mudslide to the finish during the winter months!) and comprises of 4 and a bit laps. Hilly laps. There are some pros and cons to the laps, but it's still a really nice park that I used to live overlooking and also enjoyed sitting in during my lunchbreaks when I went to Haywards Heath College.

My PB for this course is 21:09 at the moment and I set this at a time where I feel at the peak of my short distance running, so I think you could easily take at least a minute off that when run on a flatter course. I have also found that due to tree coverage the pace and distance on a satellite watch is rarely accurate so it makes it quite hard to rely on this sort of technology to get your pace right.

Obviously, it might just be because I know a lot of people in the Burgess Hill running club, and starting to get to know a few Haywards Heath Harriers too, but this one feels like the friendliest parkrun I have been to so far. The volunteers each week are extremely encouraging with an almost endless amount of energy for cheering and clapping the runners of all ability. The runners taking part always have time for other runners and nearly everyone seems to finish this one with a smile on their face. The regular set of core runners I mentioned mean that nearly everyone knows each other's names (it's a bit like the 'Cheers bar' of parkruns). Don't let this put you off if you're new though, you instantly feel one of the gang and will be welcomed at this Parkrun (they'll learn your name quickly if you attend a few times and want to be known!). 

Getting to this one is nice and easy too, with a short walk to Haywards Heath station and the use of the free car park at Clair Hall. 

As you'd expect, I thoroughly recommend this one and I fully intend to frequent it. I also recommend volunteering a few times (not just here, but at any Parkrun) which really is a rewarding thing to do. If you go to Clair Parkrun, go and say hello to the organisers such as Neil, Nick, Marion, John and Caz (she's often there to advise first timers)....if I missed anyone important there let me know! They will make you feel welcome I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment