Thursday 27 March 2014

Lloyd Park (Croydon) - Part 1

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/lloyd/

This is another one that needs a more up to date review. I did this one a little while back and I think it was a fairly new parkrun at the time.

The course was all on trail and grass around Lloyd Park (which is right by the Lloyd Park tram stop, a short ride away from East Croydon station if you're a public transport user or you want to park up in one of Croydon's many public car-parks). This one I found particularly tricky at the time (although I managed 21:22) and at time of writing I would say this is the hardest parkrun I've done. 

It starts out letting you think all is fine and dandy, but the two lap course has an absolutely killer hill in it which totally takes all of your pace! It was muddy when I did it which made the hill even harder to climb.

The field was small but had some real quality runners, supported by the wealth of decent running clubs in the local area. There were a few youngsters that shot off at the start, but these weren't the kind of kids that burn out after the first km. They were fast for the full 5k and there were some genuinely impressive performances from them. I assume these kids were under the careful coaching of one of the local running/athletic clubs.

It's a pretty good parkrun, but a long way away from me so I won't make many more visits to it. Definitely one to add to your list though if you want to experience a bit of Parkrun variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment